Halibut with Ginger and Scallions
If you want a great timesaving meal that you can get from the refrigerator to the table in just 20 minutes, you will love this Asian-inspired recipe for halibut. The omega-3 fatty acids from the halibut help to reduce inflammation and the shiitake mushrooms not only enhance the flavor of this recipe but also builds a strong immune system.
Prep and Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- ¾ lb halibut cut into 2 steaks (or use any other firm-fleshed fish)
- ¼ cups light vegetable broth
- ¼ cup mirin rice wine*
- 3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 TBS tamari soy sauce
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBS minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups fresh shitake mushrooms, sliced ¼” thick
- 1 cup coarsely chopped scallion
- salt and white pepper to taste
- **mirin is a sweet Japanese rice wine without the alcohol content
- Chop garlic and let sit for 5 minutes to enhance their health-promoting properties.
- Bring the broth and mirin wine to a simmer on medium high heat in a 10 inch skillet.
- Add garlic, soy sauce, lemon juice, ginger, scallion, and mushrooms.
- Place halibut steaks on top, reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for about 5 minutes, depending on thickness. Season with salt and pepper. Remove steaks and place on a plate. Spoon scallion, mushroom broth over fish and serve.